23 June 2012

WARRINGTON SCHOOL: Transit of Venus

It was Wednesday, 6th June, 2012. I was jumping with excitement, my hands were shaking, my heart was pounding as I waited in line.  Steven had very kindly brought his telescope down and made a special cover so we could see it.  It was my turn to look, I was so excited, this is a once in a life time experience.  My eye hit the the edge of the lens, I saw it!  It was amazing seeing the sun and Venus' shadow on it. I was amazed and could not stop looking. Thank you Steven.

Jazzy Couch


A transit is when Venus or another planet passes between us (the Earth) and the Sun.  The next Venus transit will be in 2117.  I peered through the telescope with one eye, and gradually concentrate on the small black dot in the bottom right corner of the enormous round sun. Venus must've been 100 or so times smaller than the Sun (my estimate).

Lichen Sorrel

 

The Sun

still in the sky.

Venus

a little black dot

crosses really slowly

the orange red fire.

I stare

in amazement.

Jasmine Johnson

 

I was up the tree then Steven came into sight, he was carrying a telescope.

I ran to Steven.  About five minutes later I got to see through the telescope.

I saw Venus, it was across the sun.

I was flabbergasted.

Rammy El-dessouky

No comments:

Post a Comment